Martin Schuster from Vezzano/Vetzan in the Vinschgau valley took over his father's farm a few years ago.

The Mareinhof farm is located on the slope of the Vetzan Sonnenberg mountain range between Silandro/Schlanders and Laces/Latsch. Martin lives here with his parents and cultivates various apple varieties and some wine over a total area of 11 hectares. 60 percent of his apples are Golden Delicious, the remaining 40 percent are Red Delicious, Gala, Braeburn, Jonagold and Envy™.

Martin has already (almost) been everywhere in the world

Being a farmer was never his dream job, but Martin is still happy with his choice. An office job all day behind a desk? No, that wouldn't be for him. “We apple farmers have it pretty good. We work in the great outdoors and produce healthy food," he says. “If you manage your work well, you can also treat yourself to a holiday.”

No sooner said than done. Martin has already been everywhere in the world - well nearly. He’s travelled in China and Asia as well as kite surfing in Brazil. He loves to travel, but every time is still happy to return to his farm.